Are You Living in a State of “Denial”?
What is denial? How do I know if I’ve caught it? What are the symptoms? This is obviously a humorous way of approaching this topic. I can laugh about it now as I have been there, done that…denial that is, and credit denial too.
Do you avoid filling out new credit requests because you already know the response? Do you feel too overwhelmed to take the first step? Have you heard it takes years and a lot of money to fix your credit? Are you burying your head in the sand in hopes that it will all go away?
So what is denial? According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary it means: refusing to admit the truth or reality of something unpleasant. That sounds pretty spot on for this situation. We go through life acting as though none of it has happened to US! Yes, we can live in a state of denial about many things in our lives. However, with the focus being on our credit or the lack thereof, there are many reasons why we have chosen to ignore it. I don’t know your situation specifically. I do know as a Life Coach that we can choose to do something about it. Yay! Many times the way we handle situations is because of our earlier programming as a child, teen-ager and young adult. This is not an excuse, however, it is lodged in our subconscious mind and until we release it and re-program it, we will continue doing (or in this case “not doing”) it over and over again.
It struck me this week that we can talk about the 5 main credit factors. We can break-down each topic and put action items to them. We can educate and give advice. But really, if it is because of DENIAL that you got here in the first place, you will not read, will not take action and will not improve your credit without attacking this issue first.
So here is your homework for this week. My recommendation is that you block out 20 minutes and sit down with a pen and paper and write out the answers to the following questions. This may seem frivolous to you and you will have resistance to the homework. Why will you have resistance, because you are programmed to have resistance, which is why denial is so comfortable. When we push ourselves, it is uncomfortable but that is where the magic happens, right?!?
- If I had perfect credit, how would I feel? (Really connect to the emotions and write them down)
- If I had perfect credit, where can that help me? (Think about your insurance rates, auto loan rates, mortgage or rent)
- Where in my life have I felt resistance or denial in the past? (Think back to your earliest memory of feeling the same way you feel today about your credit)
- What were my emotions connected to the feeling around that situation? (Dig deep, did you feel betrayed, hurt, scared, etc.)
- If I didn’t feel this way about my credit, what would I feel like? (This is all about connecting to the feelings you want to feel about your credit)
- If I took action today to educate myself and improve my credit, would I be willing to take baby-steps to improvement?
- Review your answers above and make a separate list of all the “good” feelings you will feel when you have perfect credit.
- Read this list out loud every morning and every night for the next 30 days.
- Take the answers that you wrote down from the questions above (do this after you use it to make your list of good feelings) and ceremonially release it out to the ethers either by burning the answers, ripping it to shreds or playing basketball with it into your trash bin. The important part of this is that when you release it you let go of the emotions connected to the early programming. (If you need help with this, we can set up a coaching session to release it).
- Knowledge is POWER! Our program has many features and benefit; one to take advantage of is the educational component. What you don’t know may be hurting you so get educated and make your credit work for you instead of against you.
As always, if you have errors on your credit reports or items that do not belong to you and you are not having success getting them removed, contact me for help.
For questions or additional resources, please contact me at Info@CreditGal.CO